The latest thing amongst smokers are burgers formed around the bottom of a can and stuffed. They look great but I thought you could do the same with a small amount of breakfast sausage and made a great appetizer. Sausage Cups are the result.
I formed 1 inch balls with the sausage and formed it into a small cup around my fingertip.
I put a slice of jalapeno in the bottom of each cup. I covered that with a plug of cream cheese. I put another slice of jalapeno on top and covered it with a one inch piece of bacon.
I put the cups on a rack and into my Bradley Smoker set at 270 F with hickory smoke for 40 minutes. You could also do these in an oven or over indirect heat on a barbecue. However, you would get no smoke flavour.
These were simple and delicious. The great part is that you can vary these just by changing the fillings or the sausage. I see years of savory experimentation!
The Old Fat Guy
- 1/2 kg (8 ounces) breakfast sausage, skin removed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) cream cheese, chilled and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 slice bacon, cut into 8 pieces
- Form a cup around your finger tip with the sausage.
- Put a slice of jalapeno into each cup.
- Put 1/8 of the cheese in each cup.
- Put another slice of jalapeno on top.
- Put a piece of bacon on top of each cup.
- Smoke on a tray at 270 F for 40 minutes.
- Alternatively, you could cook over indirect heat on a barbecue or in your oven.