We were having a friend over for wine and appetizers. I was going to make chicken wings. She Who Must Be Obeyed informed me she wanted the wings to have crispy skin. I like my wings sticky but it is possible to have both. The secret is putting lots of butter on the chicken skin while it is cooking and then tossing them in a sticky sauce. So, I invented Sweet Tequila Wings.
The recipe for these wings is at the end of this post.
I started by making the sauce. I mixed the brown sugar, lime juice, rice vinegar, Sriracha, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger in a small spot. Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes uncovered and remove from heat. Add the tequila.
Mix 50 ml (1/4 cup) of the sauce with 50 ml (1/4 cup) melted butter and set it aside.
I then prepared the wings by cutting them into wing and drumette sections. Save the wing tips for stock. Mix the salt, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder together. Sprinkle it over both sides of the wing sections.
Put the wing sections on a lightly oiled grill that has been preheated to medium high.
After about 3 minutes, turn the segments. You are looking for some char lines. Brush the chicken with the sauce butter mixture and cook for another 3 minutes.
Put the wings on the top rack of your barbecue and reduce the heat to medium. Cook turning ever 4 or 5 minutes and brushing with the butter sauce mixture until the skin is crispy and nicely coloured, about 20 minutes.
Toss the wings in the remaining sauce and serve.
The most important thing is that She Who Must Be Obeyed was obeyed! These had a nice crispy skin. I liked the rich sweet sauce with just a touch of heat. I will be making these again!
The Old Fat Guy
- 750 grams (1 1/2 pounds) chicken wings
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) salt
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) paprika
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) onion powder
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) garlic powder
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) lime juice
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) rice vinegar
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) Sriracha sauce (may substitue 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) Tabasco)
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) soy sauce
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) fresh ginger, minced
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) tequila
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) melted butter
- Cut chicken wings into sections, saving wing tips for stock.
- Mix salt, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle the mixture over both sides of the wings.
- Mix the brown sugar, lime juice, vinegar, Sriracha, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the tequila.
- Take 50 ml (1/4 cup) of the sauce and mix it with the melted butter.
- Put the chicken on a lightly greased grill heated to medium high.
- Cook for 3 minutes and turn.
- Brush the chicken with the sauce and butter mixture.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the grill heat to medium and move the wings to the top rack.
- Continue to cook, turning and brushing with sauce every 4 to 5 minutes until the wings are nicely crisp and coloured, about 20 minutes.
- Toss the wings in the remaining sauce and serve.