I have never been a big chicken and dumplings fan. Yes, it tastes great and it is comfort food. However, there are drawbacks to the way I am used to seeing it prepared.
First, it is a pain to make. You have to cook a whole chicken, remove the meat and then start making your chicken and dumplings.
Second, you “save time” by making the dumplings with Bisquik or the equivalent. The dumplings always seemed soggy to me.
This recipe uses boneless skinless chicken thighs and makes home made dumplings that mix up as fast as Bisquik but are so much better.
The recipe is at the bottom of the page.
I started by cutting the chicken thighs into 1 inch cubes. I chopped the onion, celery and carrot and put it on a plate. I chopped the garlic and put it on a plate with the thyme. I mixed the dry ingredients for the dumplings in a bowl.
I melted 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. When it started to foam, I added the celery, onions and carrots. I sauteed for 10 minutes, until the onions started to get some colour. I added the flour and stirred for 1 minute.
I added the sherry and stirred to deglaze the pan. I continued cooking for 2 minutes until the mixture was paste like, stirring frequently. I slowly added the 2 cups chicken broth, stirring continuously. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the chicken. Reduce heat to medium low and add green beans. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Add melted butter and 1/4 cup chicken stock to dry dumpling ingredients. Stir just until mixed and forms a ball. Break dough into eight pieces. Place in chicken broth about 1 inch apart. Increase heat to medium. Cover and cook 12 minutes.
Take off heat and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
This is a quicker way to make Chicken and Dumplings. It has the added benefit of tasting great! The broth is rich and hearty, the chicken is moist and the dumplings are tender and creamy. Perfection in comfort food.
- Chicken and Broth
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 carrot, scrubbed, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ml (1/4 teaspoon) dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) cooking sherry
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken broth
- 500 grams (1 pound) boneless, skinless chicken thighs,cut into 1-inch pieces
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) frozen green beans, coarsely chopped
- 70 grams (2 1/2 ounces or 125 ml or 1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder
- 2 ml (1/4 teaspoon) salt
- 2 ml (1/4 teaspoon) poultry seasoning
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) chicken broth
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) butter, melted
- Melt butter over medium heat until foaming.
- Add carrots, celery and onion. Saute for 10 minutes or until onions are starting to brown.
- Add flour and stir over heat for 1 minute.
- Add sherry and mix, scraping bottom of pan, until very thick and pasty, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and green beans. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste broth and add salt or pepper as desired.
- Mix baking powder, salt and poultry seasoning in a bowl.
- Add chicken broth and melted butter. Stir just until mixed and a ball forms.
- Break dough into eight pieces.
- Place dough pieces in broth, about 1 inch apart. Cover and turn heat to medium. Cook for 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.