Good Pizza Doesn’t Have To Take Hours
She Who Must Be Obeyed says she doesn’t want to cook. You are uninspired. What can you do? You can make pizza in about 1/2 hour and hopefully impress your missus.
The recipe is at the end of this post.
I started by mixing 4 1/4 ounce (1 cup) of all purpose flour with the rapid rise yeast, sugar and salt. Then add the hot water and oil. Stir to make a thick batter.
Add the remaining 4 1/4 ounce (1 cup) of flour and put the dough hook on your stand mixer and turn it on. When the dough begins to cling to the dough hook, start timing 7 minutes. The dough will be kneaded after 7 minutes.
If you don’t have a stand mixer, add the extra cup of flour and work it in with your hands until the dough starts to form a clump. Turn the contents of the bowl out onto a floured surface and knead for 7 minutes by hand.
Let the dough sit for 10 minutes. Then turn it out onto a floured surface. Press it into a disc and then stretch it with your finger tips until it is about 12 inches around. If you know how, toss the disc in the air!
When the dough is about 12 inches, put it on a pizza pan and crimp up the edges to form ridge.
Spread the pizza sauce on the crust. Add your toppings. Sprinkle the cheese over the toppings and put the pizza on the bottom rack of an oven that has been preheated to 425 F.
Cook for 14 to 17 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is browned. The idea is to get some brown on the bottom of the crust. I like to use a spatula to lift the crust a bit to make sure there is some browning on the bottom.
This is an example of a simple quick meal that is very tasty. Try it the next time you want a quick meal!
- 8 1/2 ounce by weight (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope rapid rise yeast (2 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water (120 to 130°F)*
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- pizza toppings of your choice
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Mix 1/2 of the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the water and oil to the flour mixture.
- Mix with a spoon into a thick batter.
- Add the remaining flour and put on the stand mixer with the dough hook. Mix until the dough starts to clump on the hook.
- Continue mixing with the dough hook for 7 minutes.
- If you don't have a stand mixer, add the remaining flour and mix with your hands until it starts to form a ragged dough. Turn it onto a floured surface and knead by hand for 7 minutes.
- Let the dough sit for 10 minutes.
- Put the dough on a floured surface and press it into a disc. Use your fingertips to stretch to a 12 inch circle and put it on a pizza pan.
- Spread the pizza sauce on the dough.
- Add your toppings of choice.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Cook in a 425 F oven for 14 to 17 minutes.
- The idea is to get some browning on the bottom. I like to lift the edge with a spatula and make sure there is some browning on the bottom.
- Cut the pizza in 8 pieces.