A Quick Classy Side Dish
When I made Josie’s Jack Daniels Marinated Pork Chops, I needed a side dish worthy of her creation. I had some nice red potatoes so I made Minute O’Brien Potatoes.
They are quite quick and easy to make. Just chop up some peppers, back (Canadian) bacon or ham, onions and potatoes.
Microwave the potatoes until they are just starting to get soft and saute them with the vegetables until they get some colour.
- 3 cups scrubbed potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup back (Canadian) bacon or ham, chopped
- 1.2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup green pepper, chopped
- Either cover the potatoes with water and boil until just starting to soften (do not cook fully) or add a bit of water and microwave them until just starting to soften. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat until bubbly. Saute the bacon for two minutes. Add the peppers and onion and saute until softened.
- Add the potatoes and cook until soft and coloured, turning occasionally.
This is pretty to the eye and has a wonderful sweetness from the peppers that is offset by the salty bacon or ham. Add to that the fact it is easy and it becomes one of my favourite dishes.
The Old Fat Guy