BACON! Who doesn’t love bacon? On a recent trip to Montana for a bonspiel, I found a whole side pork in Costco. Whole pieces of side pork are very rare here so I picked it up to make some home made bacon. Continue reading Home-Made Bacon, The First of Three!
This is the second of the sausages I made when my friend, Marj, gave me some ground Moose. The first was German Bologna. I decided to go with another German sausage, Mettwurst for the second one. Continue reading Mettwurst
It just goes to show you that even an old fat Canadian gets 15 minutes of fame. The local community TV channel, ShawTV Cranbrook, asked me to do some cooking shows for their channel. So, my recipes for Memphis Wings, Coffin Shrimp and Piri Piri Chicken legs are now on TV! Here is the show:
The Old Fat Guy
A generous friend gave me some ground moose! Thanks, Marj. I decided to make something with it and share it with her. I decided to experiment with making German Bologna with moose. It is normally made with a combination of pork and beef but I tried pork and moose. Continue reading German Bologna
Pears with Raspberry Sauce
This tastes totally decadent, like something you’d eat in an expensive restaurant, yet it’s healthy & easy to make. It makes a wonderful breakfast, anytime snack or healthy dessert.
Serves: 2 to 4
2 ripe Bartlett pears (skin should just be starting to turn yellow)
Juice from 1/4 of an organic lemon (approx 2 tsp)
1/2 cup frozen whole red raspberries, thawed (takes about 1 hour) – plus 8 extra for serving
2 Medjool dates, pitted & chopped (see Tip# 1)
2 tsp pomegranate blueberry juice
1. Cut pears in half lengthwise, peel & core. Place them in a glass pie plate or small shallow baking dish & drizzle with lemon juice.
2. Microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when they’re soft & you see some liquid in the bottom of the plate.
3. Using a slotted spoon; remove pears to your serving dishes, reserving the liquid.
4. In a blender or bullet; add the 1/2 cup raspberries, dates, pomegranate/blueberry juice & all the liquid from the cooked pears. Blend until smooth.
5. Top pears with raspberry sauce. Garnish each pear half with 2 whole raspberries & serve immediately.
Tips & Suggestions
1. Medjool dates are larger than regular dates & have a magnificent creamy caramel taste to them. You can find them in the produce section of most larger supermarkets.
She Who Must Be Obeyed picked up some boneless skinless chicken thighs and the command was given that I was cooking them. I was busy so I needed to do something quick. I made Quick Jerk Chicken Thighs. Continue reading Quick Jerk Chicken Thighs