The Old Fat Guy
I have posted my Gumbo Recipe previously. I did a video of the cook. I hope you like it!
Also, I didn’t put the recipe in a printable format so I do this now.
- 100 ml (3/8 cup) Flour
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) Vegetable Oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) Chopped Onion
- 250 ml (1 cup) Chopped Green Pepper
- 1 stalk Celery, Chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp) Dried Thyme
- 0.5 ml (1/8 tsp) Cayenne
- 8 ml (1 1/2 tsp) Flour
- 250 ml (1 cup) Diced Tomatoes
- 500 ml (2 cups) Chicken Stock
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Soy Sauce
- 340 grams (3/4 lb) Chicken Thigh Meat
- 115 grams (1/4 lb) Andouille Sausage
- 215 grams (1/2 lb) Prawns
- 215 grams (1/2 lb) Scallops
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Put a pot with a heavy bottom over medium heat. add the 100 ml (3/8 cup) flour. Stir constantly until the flour is a light tan colour, about 2-5 minutes.
- Add the oil and mix.
- Cover the pot and put it on the lowest rack of your oven for 35 minutes.
- Add the onion, green pepper, and celery. Saute, stirring constantly, until the vegetables are just starting to soften.
- Add the thyme, garlic, cayenne, and 8 ml (1 1/2 tsp) flour. Saute just until the garlic and thyme become fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a minute or two to drive off excess liquid
- Slowly stir in chicken stock and soy sauce.
- Add chicken meat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add Andouille and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add prawns and scallops. Bring back to a boil, reduce to simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot
The Old Fat Guy
I like to spatchcock my chickens when I smoke or grill them. This involves removing the backbone and breast bone so the chicken lays flat. You could throw these trimmings out or you can save them in the freezer until you have enough to make chicken stock. Continue reading Slow Cooker Chicken Stock
The isolation of the global pandemic gives us time. In my case, it gave me time to go through my freezer. I hang my head in shame. I found some pulled pork I likely should have used earlier. It wasn’t too old to use but longer than I would like. Continue reading Korean Pulled Pork Soup
I did a video of my New England Clam Chowder recipe!
I love clam chowder. However, it does cause controversy in my house. I prefer the bright flavours of Manhattan Clam Chowder but She Who Must Be Obeyed prefers the creamy richness of New England Clam Chowder. Continue reading New England Clam Chowder
I did a video of my Chicken and Dumplings recipe!
We were having a bonspiel at our curling club. This means there was a lot of people coming in from out of town. We like to have a light lunch for our guests and volunteers bring in slow cookers of soup. My contribution this year was Onion Chili Soup. Continue reading Onion Chili Soup
I love soup. We have snow here in the Canadian Rockies and it is cold. Soup just makes a day warmer. Continue reading Bacon Sausage Soup
I have posted the recipe for PWE Corned Beef before but I wanted to make a movie for my community TV show. So here it is!